Domestic market leads growth at 20 p.c.
The annual research, now in its 25th year, reports that exports accounted for two-thirds (66.4 per cent) of the industry, while the domestic market accounted for the remaining one-third (33.6 per cent) in FY 11. The domestic market stole a march over exports market by growing at 23 per cent and posting revenues of Rs.. 147,152 crore. Exports clocked Rs.. 291,144 crore, growing at 17 per cent. While IT services exports jumped back, growing at 21 per cent (vs 6 per cent in FY 10) and engineering services exports grew at 22 per cent (compared to 6 per cent in the previous year), BPO exports growth slowed down, growing just 7 per cent, as against 13 per cent in the previous year. The total services exports from India in FY 11 stood at $64 billion, including IT software/services and BPO, the report added. "The slowdown in 2009 and 2010 made the industry more efficient and mature. With the growth now back, the Indian IT industry can look forward to more depth, innovation and global spread in 2011-12," said Pradeep Gupta, Publisher of CyberMedia India. The survey will be published in the forthcoming issue of the journal dated September 15, 2011. Hewlett-Packard India was the largest IT player in the domestic market, while TCS was the largest exporter from India, as also the largest company across all categories.
Hardware sales up 28 p.c.
Within the Indian domestic market, computer hardware sales jumped 28 per cent. Software and services grew at 19 per cent each, clearly indicating that enterprises have resumed their spend on new infrastructure creation and hardware replacement. However, certain segments within software, such as business intelligence (BI), did particularly well. BI grew at 38 per cent. The segment, which had grown by 44 per cent in FY 10, is the new focus for investment, among large enterprise CIOs, as top executives are now relying more and more on analytics to take business decisions, Dataquest notes. The research also reveals that most of the consumer technology segments, such as laptops, smartphones, and storage devices (MP3 players, digital cameras, consumer storage media), have recorded impressive growth.
Growth driven by Consumer IT categories like smartphones
Smartphones (revenues of Rs.. 8,796 crore) grew the maximum across all categories at 97 per cent in revenue terms. Computer hardware sales of Rs.. 29,151 crore included servers (Rs. 2,709 crore), desktop computers (Rs. 13,341crore) and laptop computers (Rs. 13,301 crore). The top-seven IT companies were over Rs.. 10,000 crore each in revenues: TCS (Rs. 29,801 crore); Infosys (Rs. 25,477 crore); Cognizant (Rs. 21,393 crore); Wipro (Rs. 19,421 crore); Hewlett-Packard (Rs. 19,022 crore); HCL Technologies (Rs. 13,264 crore) and HCL Infosystems (Rs. 11,773 crore), adding up to Rs.. 140,151 crore, the report added.
Source: CIOL Bureau