Laliwala IT Services

Laliwala IT Services
Website Development

Monday, February 21, 2011

Call to all translators: Get your translations ready for Liferay 6!!

Julio Camarero : Call to all translators: Get your translations ready for Liferay 6!!





Hi translators!





Liferay 6 Release candidate will be released most likely today or tomorrow and the General Availability Release will probably be out in three weeks time or less.





So, now is the perfect moment to review the translation for your language.





Some reminders:





You just have to modify the file Language_**.properties.native (Thanks to Olaf, you will find the "(Automatic Translation)" or "(Automatic Copy)" text in most of the new keys which will help you to find easily the latest changes)





You can find the latest version of your translation file here: svn://svn.liferay.com/repos/public/portal/trunk/portal-impl/src/content (user: "guest" with no password). More info here





Open a ticket in JIRA called "Improvement to ** Language", and upload your translation file there: Please, provide the Language_**.properties.native and if possible the diff file for this file (You just need to do svn diff in your console)





Click in the left menu: Contribute solution





Post a message in this category letting us know that your work is ready to be committed.





Thanks a lot Everyone! emoticon





Edited: Added the "Contribute solution" step....



Mikel Goikoetxea : Buenas Julio,





Las traducciones al Euskera ya están disponibles en http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-8965





Un saludo



Milan Jaroš : Hi,





I've contributed [#LPS-8973] Improvement to Czech Language.





For all: Please, note that automatically translated (Automatic Copy) strings are not all of strings that should be translated. Because of some error it generated about 50 strings to translate for Czech language. But after comparison of keys with English version I've got much and much more (patch has about 172 kB emoticon ).





With the best regards,





Milan



Julio Camarero : Thanks a lot Mikel and Milan!





Both languages are update now emoticon






Björn Ryding : Hi Julio,





I just updated the Swedish translation (LPS-8981).





Cheers,





Björn



Tobias S. Käfer : It would be nice, if one could access subversion through https.





I am forced to access the internet via a proxy, therefore










don't work. Our infrastructure cannot be configurated to allow http access for svn (that's what the admins keep telling me).





I have to use something like JAP or Tor, but that is very slow and it violates our company network rules (I have the permission to do such workarounds, but it is not very nice to do so). And plus there are possibly some security issues.








It normally works if there is the option to use https since the whole traffic is encrypted and no proxy interference is done.






Corné Aussems : Final 6.0 Preview Dutch Translations ready





http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-9042








Greetings,

Corné

Pantheon automatisering






Julio Camarero : Thanks for finding this, Milan. It has been resolved in LPS-9031 and now you will be able to find all the new keys with the chain "(Automatic Copy)" or "(Automatic Translation)" in your native.properties file








Cheers!






Corné Aussems : sorry i patched some more

http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-9042






Olaf Kock : Lol - wasn't it obvious? That's what always happens when one calls something "final"? ;-)








sorry, couldn't resist






Corné Aussems : Believing something because you want it to be.








I suppose tedious tasks never become final , that makes them tedious, not?






Björn Ryding : Hi Julio,





LPS-9078 has an updated Swedish translation that include the language keys "introduced" in LPS-9031.





Cheers,





Björn






Julio Camarero : Awesome job Björn!





Thanks a lot, it is commited now emoticon






Julio Camarero : Haha, thanks a lot Corné! It is committed now .



Ashitaba YOSHIOKA : Hi Julio,





I updated Japanese language pack.





LPS-9097








Best regards,

YOSHIOKA Ashitaba






Miles Huang : Hi Julio,





I updated Chinese(zh_CN) language pack at LPS-9112.





There is only one key I left "Automatic Translation"





add-offering





Because I can't find out where it is referenced, it's hard to guess its semantic. If the key is still used anywhere, please give me some guide to find out the phrase's real meaning.





Best Regards,





Miles.



Julio Camarero : Thanks a lot Miles and Ashitaba!


they are both committed now.





(The add-offering key, I think it was used from a plugin, but I don't remember which one now. I think it was used to add different services that a customer could buy).



Ashitaba YOSHIOKA : Hi Julio,





I updated Japanese language pack again because there are new keys I couldn't find before.





I've attached new files on LPS-9097 .


Followings are newly attached files.


1) Language_ja.properties.native.0427


2) Language_ja.properties.native.r51126.diff





Best regards,

YOSHIOKA Ashitaba



Julio Camarero : Thanks a lot Ashitaba! It's committed now emoticon



Borxa Varela Bouzas : What's the difference between Language_**.properties.native and Language_**.properties only?





They look like two files with the same content.



Milan Jaroš : Hi,





problem is with non-ASCII characters, see Translating Liferay to a New Language. If your language uses only ASCII you will not see any differences.





Example of native sentence in Czech:





Příliš žluťoučký kůň úpěl ďábelské ódy.





native2ascii:





P\u0159\u00edli\u0161 \u017elu\u0165ou\u010dk\u00fd k\u016f\u0148 \u00fap\u011bl \u010f\u00e1belsk\u00e9 \u00f3dy.





Regards,

Milan



Julio Camarero : Hi Borxa,





the .properties are ASCII, and the .properties.native are UTF8.








You should always work on the .native files and ignore the .properties, because characters non-ascii like ñ, ç, or many others won't be displayed properly. In Japanese or Chinese translations, for example, the difference is even bigger as all of their characters are non-ascii.





In addition, in the .native files you will find all the new keys from your last update flagged with the text "(Automatic copy)" so that they are easier for you to find.





I hope this helps!





Edited: Oops... I just saw Milan's answer... thanks a lot Milan!!! (sorry for answering again the same)



Borxa Varela Bouzas : emoticon Sorry for the inconvenience... I must read a little more, before ask.





I use a languague with non-ASCII characters, but my IDE show it "good". Before understand this little problem (thanks both), i will prepare and submit the galician language transaltion.



Milan Jaroš : It's okay. emoticon Feel free to ask for everything.



Milan Jaroš : Hi,





do you know somebody who can maintain German language? I've looked randomly into Language_de and there 25 times (Automatic copy) and 100 missing strings.





Regards,

Milan



Mazhar Anwar : Hi All,





Its very Nice to see Hindi and Persian in Liferay6. I would like to add Urdu as well(As this is Right to Left).





How can I start? emoticon





Regards,


Mazhar



Olaf Kock : Oops - I thought that this has just been taken care of - I'll take a look. Might be that it just isn't committed, but I have to dig for the issue.



Tobias S. Käfer : I did the translation. But as you can see, there have been added some properties afterwards:

SVN DIFF





That is too bad. I thought it would be stable, as Julio Camarero did the initial post.





So the question is:





Is there any kind of feature freeze or deadline? Or does one have to look over and over again, until the Liferay 6 version is released?





So it would be better to have a stable file that the translation should be based of.








I do another translation for the German language. Let's see how long this will be up to date.



Tobias S. Käfer :


So there it is:

See JIRA Issue LPS-9471



Olaf Kock : Ok, go ahead. Just fyi: I had LPS-9268 in mind, as I remembered that Iris from our office did some more work after you did your original translation for Julio's post.



Olaf Kock
Hm, I always thought that just translating what's there would be sufficient, as the build process itself will look for missing entries and either add automatic translations or copy the entry to the native language file. How can it happen that there are entries missing? Or am I wrong with this scenario?





Either way, I think this is the way it should be. There should be no missing entries - that's what all that automagic copying and translating is about.



Julio Camarero : Hi Olaf,





there was a bug making that those strings that were not automatically translated but copied were not added to the native files.





It should be fixed since 15th April: http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-9031





By the way, german language has automatic translation, so this bug shouldn't affect it... there shouldn't be missing strings.






Julio Camarero : Hi Mazhar,





you have a lot of info here: Translating Liferay to a new language





feel free to ask anything you don't understand!





cheers!



Julio Camarero
Hi Tobias,


I am very sorry about this. This was supposed to be stable but I guess it has been inevitable to add some more strings.





We are still adding accessibility and workflow improvements and those may have created new strings.





Thanks a lot for updating your translation again.



Ashitaba YOSHIOKA : Hi Julio,


I've updated Japanese language pack again right now.

There were new many keys since I had updated before.








I've attached new files on LPS-9097 .

News files are as below.





1) Language_ja.properties.native.0517

2) Language_ja.properties.native.r52839.diff








p.s.

I totally agree with Tobias.

"So it would be better to have a stable file that the translation should be based of."





Best regards,

YOSHIOKA Ashitaba



Julio Camarero : Thanks a lot Ashitaba, it is committed now emoticon



Miles Huang : Hi Julio,





The resource bundle file have added many new keys since the last commit.





I have updated the Chinese translation and the new patch file has been uploaded to the original LPS-9112.








Best Regards,

Miles.



Julio Camarero : Thanks a lot Miles, it has been already committed to trunk. emoticon



Tobias S. Käfer : Another update for German Translation: see http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-10305






Corné Aussems : Julio,

Could there be a final call before the stable release?






Milan Jaroš : I agree. This would be great to know at least one day before.








We have prepared Czech translation but it is not committed yet...



Tobias S. Käfer : Thumb up for that one!





I just did some additional translation, since I known how Liferay did release a new version in the past, all of a sudden there the new version was and some translations have not been done...





I had great expectations as this thread started, that this process would have improved. So don't mess up with my expectations ;)



Julio Camarero : Hi guys,





you are totally right about this. I will try to do my best to let you know the date of the finale release, although it is not very easy.





The internal date for the "code freezing" is next Thursday 25th June. Anything that you send me before of that day will be in the release 100% sure. (As this date is internal, it may change slightly, but I will let you know if this happens).





Anything you send me after that day, I will try to commit it as soon as possible (translations are not affected by the code freezing) but I can not guarantee 100% that they will be included because several days after that, the release will be out.



Olivier Bonnet-Torrès : Hi Julio,





I submitted some time ago partial improvements to the French translation (http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-9365).

This definitely is a work in progress and I do not claim it final!


I submitted them as a patch to the .properties file (not the native) with valid encoding.

Unfortunately we will not have time to backport these to the .native file before that date.

Cheers!



Olaf Kock : Should be as simple as










;-)

(note: command typed from memory - if it erases your hard disk or does other weird stuff, I deny any liability)



Ashitaba YOSHIOKA : Hi Julio,





I updated Japanese translation again because there were so many new keys in svn(rev56202).

And attached new two files on LPS9097.





1) Language_ja.properties.native.0624

2) diff_with_svn56202.diff





Best regards,

YOSHIOKA Ashitaba






Julio Camarero : Should be as simple as










;-)

(note: command typed from memory - if it erases your hard disk or does other weird stuff, I deny any liability)[/quote]





Thanks a lot Olaf! That worked like a charm!





I just updated the french translation, Thanks a lot Olivier!

It would be great if the next time you create your JIRA ticket , you also post a message here so that we get notified about it.





Cheers!



Julio Camarero : Thanks so much Ashitaba!





It's already in trunk emoticon



Milan Jaroš : Czech translation updated: LPS-10552



Milan Jaroš : Hi translators!





May I have off-topic question? Is some localization concept out of there? I am little bit confused by current state and some keys. emoticon





Example:

There is new key application-secret (by Brian Chan) in properties file and I do not have any clue what is this used for. So I looked for it in sources and I have found it is input field with attached value facebookConnectAppSecret. Why the key is not named as a facebook-connect-application-secret?





There is an entry key. But in Czech we have different translation of entry for "blog entry" and "tag entry" and so on... Key should be IMHO e.g. entry[blog] and entry[tag].





Do you have some ideas?





Regards emoticon



Corné Aussems : Milan i think its hard to caputure al languages in generic message.





maybe some lunguistic[person] could help us out here or we'd learn from other projects.





IMHO it's time to take things further while so many languages are kept in a cumbersome way.





A discussion was started earlier, but stranded in good will.





Maybe we could round up some guys/gals who want to commit themselves to this?



Corné Aussems : Updated Dutch /Nederlandic /Nederlands translation

http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-10574






Milan Jaroš : Yeah, agree.





I have missed it, sorry for such OT hitch-hiking. Related threads:

Translations work system Combination View

Feature Suggestion: Online-Editing of language resources Combination View





Regards



Julio Camarero : Hey Milan,





regarding the disambiguation for entry[blog] and entry[tag], I opened a thread to let people tell us about those and fix them, but nobody answered:





http://www.liferay.com/es/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/5019846





Feel free to let us know all you would like to add to the portal and I will try to work on those. It won't be fast because I will have to change in the the language files and in all the jsps that use those but I think it will be worthy.





Cheers!



Corné Aussems : Could we get notifications of builds also?





I testing/developing in LR 6 now and occasionally bump into needed changes.

but don't want to create a patch for every single line i correct.



Julio Camarero : Hi Corné,





we are releasing another GA this friday which improves the javascript performance. There may be more GA releases after that, but I don't know yet. I will try to let you know as soon as I find out.





cheers!



Corné Aussems : Could we get notifications of builds also?


I testing/developing in LR 6 now and occasionally bump into needed changes.

but don't want to create a patch for every single line i correct.



Julio Camarero : Hi Corné,





we are releasing another GA this friday which improves the javascript performance. There may be more GA releases after that, but I don't know yet. I will try to let you know as soon as I find out.





cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment